Zeeland Seaports and the Port of Ghent, in collaboration with the Municipality of Terneuzen and the Province of Zeeland, therefore submitted a research proposal to improve the rail infrastructure to the European Commission. The result of this three-year study will serve as an important tool in further investment decisions made by authorities for the work required to improve the railway. The study will also investigate all aspects necessary in preparation for this.
Aspects such as the railway’s sensitivity to risk in the region (including the Sluiskil bridge and Wiedauwkaai bridge crossings) and the railway capacity that will be required in future in this rapidly developing area are being considered. Passenger transport options on the railway are also being considered and different funding options are being explored.
About the bottlenecks
- Sluiskil bridge: The bridge is the main railway link for commercial activities on the eastern side of the canal. The bridge forms a logistical bottleneck in the effective flow of the logistics chain and most likely provides insufficient capacity to meet predicted future transportation needs.
- Shunting station Sas van Gent: Growth within the current noise contour is too limited to achieve more transportation and/or movements within the current yard.
- Wiedauwkaai bridge: Potential failure of the mechanism is creating problems for railway transportation.
- Rail bundle Zandeken: A research is being conducted on the possible expansion of this rail bundle Zandeken, in order to facilitate the prospected increased flow of goods at the Kluizendok. The connection on the north side of this rail bundle will make it possible to have a direct connection towards Terneuzen.
- Shunting station Ghent-Zeehaven: At this station, three tracks will be extended to 740 metres (length). The realisation of this extension will take place by 2020.
- Missing link: This is the missing link in the Ghent-Terneuzen rail infrastructure. On the side of the canal where the track is missing (the eastern side), major developments are currently underway, such as the arrival of a new company and its expansion.